Here is more information from the NHS website:
Autistic people may:
- Being autistic does not mean you have an illness or disease. It means your brain works in a different way from other people.
- It's something you're born with or first appears when you're very young.
- If you're autistic, you're autistic your whole life.
- Autism is not a medical condition with treatments or a "cure". But some people need support to help them with certain things.
- find it hard to communicate and interact with other people
- find it hard to understand how other people think or feel
- find things like bright lights, loud noises, textures overwhelming, stressful or uncomfortable
- get anxious or upset about unfamiliar situations and social events
- take longer to understand information
- do or think the same things over and over
Autism is a spectrum. This means everybody with autism is different.